From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] telephony
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 06:22:29
1 On 22 Apr 2009, at 17:30, Simon wrote:
2 > ...
3 > I'm thinking on setting up asterisk, but having read about it in the
4 > past, i know as soon as i set it up it will take more of my time than
5 > my girlfriend ever dreamed of! It seems extremely difficult to setup,
6 > specially for a newbie.
7
8 In addition to Simon's questions, can I ask if anyone has used
9 Freeswitch?
10 http://www.freeswitch.org/
11
12 I read about it a while ago, and found this article, which I think was
13 on the site's main page at the time:
14 http://www.freeswitch.org/node/117
15 From that, you might interpret that the lead developer either really
16 knows his stuff and is really innovative, or you might wonder if he
17 fell out with the Asterisk devs because he didn't get his own way. ;)
18
19 I've actually got a really expensive (or it was when I bought it!)
20 Cisco phone and an X100 POTS card sitting here, as I've been meaning
21 to get round to implementing Asterisk for about 4 years now! Perhaps
22 this thread will give me a little bit of a kick up the arse.
23
24 At least it's given me enough motivation to do some homework - the
25 cheap X100 card (to take calls from a regular phoneline & feed them
26 into the PBX) does indeed seem to be supported by Freeswitch :)
27
28 Stroller.