From: Bill Longman <bill.longman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to build a time machine on Gentoo
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 19:10:35
1 On 08/18/2010 11:49 AM, Joerg Schilling wrote:
2 > Bill Longman <bill.longman@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >> On 08/18/2010 11:03 AM, Nganon wrote:
5 >>> Clear now, thanks.
6 >>>
7 >>>
8 >>> If you want a robust filesystem, look into ZFS/BTRFS.
9 >>>
10 >>>
11 >>> AFAIK ZFS is unmaintained and BTRFS is not stable, am I wrong?
12 >
13 > Why do you believe ZFS is unmaintained?
14
15 That's Nganon's comment. I'll let him answer.
18 >> Not really. ZFS is only available on Solaris right now. I seem to
19 >> remember it was running on one of the BSD's, too, since it's a matter of
20 >> licensing that is the hurdle of greatest height. I've only played with
21 >> BTRFS on my dev box and the simple workout I gave it did not tax it in
22 >> any way--it worked okay.
23 >
24 > ZFS has a very free license. This was the reason, why it could be ported to the
25 > BSDs. So why do you believe there is a "license hurdle"?
26
27 Only for getting it to run on Linux. The CDDL doesn't play well with GPL.
28
29 > Also note: btrfs now is three years old. ZFS was started aprox. 10 years ago.
30 > For this reason, btrfs is expected to need another 7 years to readh the level
31 > of stability currently seen with ZFS.
32
33 Might take even less!