From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] installing Gentoo in a xen VM
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2015 21:54:32
1 On Sat, Jan 10, 2015 at 1:22 PM, lee <lee@××××××××.de> wrote:
2 > Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> writes:
3 >>
4 >> You can dd from a logical volume into a file, and from a file into a
5 >> logical volume. You won't destroy the volume group unless you do
6 >> something dumb like trying to copy it directly onto a physical volume.
7 >> Logical volumes are just block devices as far as the kernel is
8 >> concerned.
9 >
10 > You mean I need to create a LV (of the same size) and then use dd to
11 > write the backup into it? That doesn't seem like a safe method.
12
13 Doing backups with dd isn't terribly practical, but it is completely
14 safe if done correctly. The LV would need to be the same size or
15 larger, or else your filesystem will be truncated.
18 >>> How about ZFS as root file system? I'd rather create a pool over all
19 >>> the disks and create file systems within the pool than use something
20 >>> like ext4 to get the system to boot.
21 >>
22 >> I doubt zfs is supported by grub and such, so you'd have to do the
23 >> usual in-betweens as you're eluding to. However, I suspect it would
24 >> generally work. I haven't really used zfs personally other than
25 >> tinkering around a bit in a VM.
26 >
27 > That would be a very big disadvantage. When you use zfs, it doesn't
28 > really make sense to have extra partitions or drives; you just want to
29 > create a pool from all drives and use that. Even if you accept a boot
30 > partition, that partition must be on a raid volume, so you either have
31 > to dedicate at least two disks to it, or you're employing software raid
32 > for a very small partition and cannot use the whole device for ZFS as
33 > recommended. That just sucks.
34
35 Just create a small boot partition and give the rest to zfs. A
36 partition is a block device, just like a disk. ZFS doesn't care if it
37 is managing the entire disk or just a partition. This sort of thing
38 was very common before grub2 started supporting more filesystems.
41 > Well, I don't want to use btrfs (yet). The raid capabilities of brtfs
42 > are probably one of its most unstable features. They are derived from
43 > mdraid: Can they compete with ZFS both in performance and, more
44 > important, reliability?
48 Btrfs raid1 is about as stable as btrfs without raid. I can't say
49 whether any code from mdraid was borrowed but btrfs raid works
50 completely differently and has about as much in common with mdraid as
51 zfs does. I can't speak for zfs performance, but btrfs performance
52 isn't all that great right now - I don't think there is any
53 theoretical reason why it couldn't be as good as zfs one day, but it
54 isn't today. Btrfs is certainly far less reliable than zfs on solaris
55 - zfs on linux has less long-term history of any kind but most seem to
56 think it works reasonably well.
57
58 > With ZFS at hand, btrfs seems pretty obsolete.
59
60 You do realize that btrfs was created when ZFS was already at hand,
61 right? I don't think that ZFS will be likely to make btrfs obsolete
62 unless it adopts more dynamic desktop-oriented features (like being
63 able to modify a vdev), and is relicensed to something GPL-compatible.
64 Unless those happen, it is unlikely that btrfs is going to go away,
65 unless it is replaced by something different.
69 Rich