From: Ralph Seichter <abbot@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] To all IPv6-slackers among the Gentoo community
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2019 18:56:02
1 * Daniel Frey:
2
3 > I have exactly one choice for an ISP and I need a static IP. The ISP
4 > disables ipv6 for some reason when you have a static IP.
5
6 Like I said, the availability of "decent" ISPs varies by location, and
7 there are of course locations where one is basically screwed when it
8 comes to IPv6, even in November 2019.
9
10 I have no intention whatsoever to chide Gentoo users who cannot have
11 IPv6 due to their ISP. I only meant to mention that now is a good time
12 to (a) consider IPv6 if you can get it, (b) consider IPv6 if you thought
13 about purchasing a new router during Black Friday or Christmas sales
14 offers, (c) let your ISP know that you are interested in IPv6, and
15 perhaps consider choosing a different ISP with more modern service (if
16 you realistically can do that).
17
18 We're not exactly swimming in ISPs where I live, and I have been biting
19 ISP ankles for more than a decade to make my requirements known. Things
20 have improved, luckily, but they are far from perfect. I am simply
21 unwilling to pay for additional single IPv4 addresses while whole IPv6
22 subnets are available in abundance.
23
24 According to RIPE, almost every member (LIR) qualifies for a /29 subnet
25 right away, no questions asked, so handing out /48 or at least /56
26 subnets to customers should be a no-brainer.
27
28 Gentoo users are often technically skilled and therefore in a position
29 to make good use of IPv6. I think it would be beneficial to let ISPs and
30 router manufacturers know that IPv6 is not some exotic luxury.
31
32 -Ralph