From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Alternative Window Managers
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 15:57:45
1 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. schreef:
2 > I'm wanting to experiment with some alternative window managers.
3 > I've already emerged them, but I'd like to have them available as
4 > separate sessions when I log in, and possibly migrate to one of them
5 > as default (or only) session available.
6
7 FWIW, I started out with GNOME (as I, like Peter, could not stand the
8 huge amount of bloat, since that's what all the "features" are to me),
9 but that was still too heavy (I really don't like desktop icons and I
10 find Nautilus about third on my list of "most annoying file manager
11 possible"), so I switched to Openbox 3. Liked it a lot (since it's
12 neither GNOME nor KDE-dependent, I could use the GTK or KDE applications
13 I wanted without fear of conflicts), and I would still be using it had I
14 not discovered fvwm-crystal.
15
16 Lightweight, insanely configurable (since it is ultimately fvwm), and
17 way, way, way better looking than fvwm "normal". This is the one for me;
18 so much so that I disabled GDM (loved it for a DM, but really a DM is
19 just waste of resources after you're logged in), and set fvwm-crystal as
20 my XSESSION in /etc/rc.conf (now I just use startx).
21
22 But of course, if you still use a DM, the different sessions will be
23 availble as separate sessions; they may only not be visible in your DM's
24 session list (because the *.desktop file created during install was not
25 copied to the correct one of the three [!!!] different paths that any
26 given DM may look for the list of available session types). If that
27 happens to you, just find the <wm_name>.desktop file and copy it to the
28 correct folder, which may be: /usr/kde/<version>/apps/kdm/sessions,
29 /etc/X11/Sessions, or /usr/share/xsessions. All DMs are supposed to read
30 from one of the 'general' folders (either the one in /etc/ or the one in
31 /usr/share/, but I have found that this is not always the case, or else
32 that the install routines are not necessarily current with the most
33 recent changes in the base setup (i.e., where the folder that all DMs
34 always read from actually is, which I think has changed with the changes
35 in X), so may not put their *.desktop file in a folder where all DMs
36 actually see it. But just copying it works a treat.
37
38 And of course if you don't use a DM, you can just type "whatever"
39 (startkde, fluxbox, openbox3, gnome-session, fvwm-crystal, fluxbox,
40 whatever the executable is) at the command line after login to start the
41 session with the WM of your choice (which ought to start X for you), or
42 conversely make a bunch of scriptlets/aliases to start X with different
43 WMs (don't know how to do this myself, but it should be possible with
44 ~/.xsession or ~/.xinitrc, and/or links to copied-modified-and-renamed
45 'startx' binary scripts).
46
47 HTH,
48 Holly