From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Why WordPress is masked?
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2014 15:19:15
1 On 19/02/2014 16:54, Gevisz wrote:
2 >
3 > I was recently told that I will have to use WordPress to do some
4 > translation job.
5 >
6 > After emerge --search wordpress, I have found that this package is
7 > currently masked (at least for amd64 architecture). The same says
8 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/WordPress
11 www-apps/wordpress is not hardmasked. It is marked ~arch, something
12 entirely different. The correct description for this package is
13 "keyworded unstable"
16 > Earlier, in this mailing list, I was told that I can see the reasons
17 > for masking a package in .../profile/package.mask file.
18
19 That file does not document unstable keywords
22 > However, looking into it, I have not found there the wordpress
23 > package at all.
24 >
25 > Does anybody know, why wordpress package is currently masked and how
26 > dangerous it is to unmask it as the wikipage above advises.
27
28 packages are keyworded unstable because they are not yet ready for
29 prime-time, or the maintainer hasn't gotten around to marking it stable
30 yet, or no-one has submitted a stabilization request to b.g.o yet
31
32 We don't know which of these apply
33
34 Just add www-apps/wordpress to package.accept_keywords and emerge it.
35 You will soon find out if it suits your needs and it won't eat your kittens.
39 > Moreover, I am interested if there are any substitutions for the
40 > wordpress package available in Gentoo.
41
42 No, that does not make sense. The only thing that works like wordpress
43 is wordpress. If you need to use wordpress then install wordpress.
44
45 There exists other blogging software of course but they are not wordpress.
48 > By a quick search, I have found vimpress plugin for vim.
49 >
50 > Does anybody know if it is a decent substitution for wordpress?
51
52 I doubt it does what you apear to think it does. vimpress is a wordpress
53 editing tool running in the vim editor. It connects to a wordpress blog
54 and let's you do the edits in vim instead of some other editing tool.
55 But you still need to have access to a wordpress blog for it to work
56 >
57 > Thank you.
58
59 Are you certain you need to run the wordpress software locally?
60 Will you not instead be editing a blog hosted elsewhere?
64 Alan McKinnon
65 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com