From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: xorg-server-1.5 update/old kernel+old fglrx
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 23:27:43
1 On 06/24/2009 02:20 AM, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 > Main question is whether there is any change in the way I select
4 > the fglrx driver with xorg-server-1.5?
5 >
6 > I have a big emerge running on one of my MythTV frontends that uses
7 > an old 2.6.19 kernel with an old 8.28 ati-driver package. The machine
8 > does not use a keyboard or mouse. I cannot update either the kernel or
9 > the ati-driver for hardware support reasons. When the emerge is
10 > finished in a couple of hours do I need to change the xorg.conf file
11 > at all to use the server with the fglrx driver or will it just work?
12
13 There's a pretty big chance that 8.28 is so old that it does not support
14 xorg-server 1.5 at all. That means you can't use xorg-server 1.5. And
15 if you're not prepared to update your kernel, then the xorg native
16 driver (xf86-video-ati) is out of the question too.
17
18 It looks to me you'll have to keep using the older xorg-server.