From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Transition to baselayout2 / openrc failed due to udev issues
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2010 15:19:54
1 On Monday 01 February 2010 15:47:07 Hanno Böck wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > Yesterday I faced a problem when trying to switch to baselayout2/openrc on
5 > a machine with lvm and raid.
6 >
7 > The scenario: Server has software raid with mdadm and lvm2 and is currently
8 > mostly stable amd64. Root partition is on md1 and most other partitions
9 > (also /usr, that might matter) on some lvm partitions.
10 >
11 > I added baselayout, openrc and sysvinit to package.keywords (later also
12 > tried with additionally adding lvm2, udev and mdadm, but that didn't
13 > change things) and followed the migration guide at
14 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/openrc-migration.xml
17 > The system failed on boot. I think that the problem is that for some
18 > reason, udev isn't starting correctly. It is in the sysinit runlevel.
19 > The interesting part is probably
20 > * Populating /dev with ex/bin/sh: warning: setlocale: LC_ALL: cannot
21 > change locale (de_DE.utf-8)
22 > * Setting system clock using the hardware clock [UTC] ...
23 > Cannot access the Hardware Clock via any known method.
24 > Use the --debug option to see the details of our search for an access
25 > method. * Failed to set the system clock
26 > [ !! ]
27 >
28 > I get a lot of more failures, raid and lvm isn't starting with errors. The
29 > LC_ALL-warnings are polluting everything, but that shouldn't be an issue
30 > (?).
31 >
32 > Any hints on what might be wrong?
33
34 You have supplied a fair number of errors that are not related to the problem.
35
36 Please post the errors that ARE related. Such as any lvm2, dm and mounting-
37 root-filesystem errors
40 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com