From: Roy Wright <roy@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Fresh install on reboot endless scrolling text
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 01:06:10
1 On Jun 9, 2009, at 7:50 PM, Harry Putnam wrote:
2
3 > I've just completed first part of a fresh install.
4 > [snip]
5 > What I see on reboot:
6 >
7 > Normal booting appears to be going along then moments after dev is
8 > mounted followed by filesystems... a massive screen full of text
9 > begins scrolling by and never stops.
10 >
11 > Impossible to read any of the text and neither pause/break or
12 > scroll/lock keys have any effect.
13 >
14 > Appears to be a continuous wrapping line repeated.
15 >
16 > But it completely kills the boot process, and no further progress is
17 > possible.
18 >
19 > I really have no idea what to change when I boot off the install
20 > media.
21
22 So you have grub installed, the grub menu appears, you select a boot
23 option, boot starts, the usual kernel messages flash by, you get to the
24 second part of the boot where the lines look like:
25
26 blah... [OK]
27
28 Then something goes crazy.
29
30 Assuming that's the scenario, boot with your install media, enter the
31 chroot, then take a peek at the logs in /var/log. Hopefully you can
32 find
33 a hint.
34
35 HTH,