From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] lost wireless network
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2012 01:42:12
1 On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 5:07 PM, Hinnerk van Bruinehsen
2 <h.v.bruinehsen@×××××××××.de> wrote:
4 > Hash: SHA1
5 >
6 > On 02.02.2012 23:03, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
7 >> On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 10:45 AM, pat <pat@××××××××.org> wrote: [
8 >> Humongous snip ]
9 >>
10 >>> Still the same :-|
11 >>
12 >> Seems really weird. I can only think the following options:
13 >>
14 >> 1. Something is messing up with NetworkManager.
15 >>
16 >> 1.a. Can be possible that the /etc/init.d/net.* scripts are
17 >> running alongside NetworkManager? I don't use OpenRC (I moved to
18 >> systemd), but I clearly remember that for NetworkManager to run OK
19 >> in Gentoo you had to disable the net.* services in /etc/rc.conf:
20 >>
21 >> rc_hotplug="!net.*"
22 >>
23 >> 1.b. Maybe something is wrong with your
24 >> NetworkManager/wpa_supplicant installation; try deleting (after
25 >> making a backup, of course) the following directories/files:
26 >>
27 >> /etc/NetworkManager /etc/wpa_supplicant /etc/conf.d/net
28 >>
29 >> and then emerge again both packages:
30 >>
31 >> emerge -1v networkmanger wpa_supplicant
32 >>
33 >> And try again after a reboot.
34 >>
35 >> 2. Maybe (for some weird reason) NetworkManager refuses to work in
36 >> your system. If this is the case, disable all your network
37 >> services (avahi*, cups, NetworkManager, net.*), and boot to a
38 >> console. When I'm dealing with this kind of stuff, I even disable
39 >> X, just to be sure:
40 >>
41 >> rc-update del NetworkManager ... rc-update del xdm reboot
42 >>
43 >> When you are in your console, try connecting to a WEP access point
44 >> by hand:
45 >>
46 >> ifconfig wlan0 up iwconfig wlan0 essid MYESSID key MYPASSWORD
47 >> channel MYCHANNEL dhclient/dhcpcd wlan0
48 >>
49 >> If it works, then is something related to NetworkManager.
50 >>
51 >> If it doesn't, I can't really thing of anything else at the
52 >> moment.
53 >>
54 >> Regards, and good luck.
55 >
56 > Doesn't seem NetworkManagerrelated - he/she said, that it isn't
57 > working with wicd either.
58 > The logs indicate that rfkill disables the device only a few seconds
59 > after each activation.
60
61 Which *could* (I believe) be caused by the /etc/init.d/net.* scripts
62 running in parallel to both NM and wicd. I don't know wicd (haven't
63 used), but it *could* be a problem with NM.
64
65 It's just an idea.
66
67 Regards.