From: "»Q«" <boxcars@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] filesystems
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 00:31:37
1 On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 00:41:51 +0100
2 Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de> wrote:
3
4 > On Montag 24 November 2008, Alan McKinnon wrote:
5 > > On Tuesday 25 November 2008 00:15:55 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
6 > > > On Montag 24 November 2008, Nicolas Sebrecht wrote:
7 > > > > On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 04:41:14PM +0100, Joerg Schilling wrote:
8 > > > > > > btrfs looks very promising. I hope it will become a good
9 > > > > > > fs. Fast for everybody, stable, efficient. We will see.
10 > > > > > > Until then I will stay with r4+compression.
11 > > > > >
12 > > > > > Well, it is under a restrictive license, so there is no
13 > > > > > chance that this filestem will become popular on many OS
14 > > > > > platforms.
15 > > > >
16 > > > > btrfs is under GPL...
17 > > >
18 > > > you can stop right here. Jörg thinks that the GPL is restrictive
19 > > > and the CPPL much more 'freedomy'. Don't try to argue. It will
20 > > > result in some flamefest.
21 > >
22 > > I dunno about that. About the flamefest I mean. For the past 6
23 > > months Joerg has been a decent helpful member around here. He
24 > > answers up every time his code is involved, doesn't rise to the
25 > > bait with the occasional dumb user question and is mostly your
26 > > typical geek with straight answers - with a bit of slack cut
27 > > because he's not native English speaking.
28 > >
29 > > It wasn't always like that, but I think we should acknowledge
30 > > things that change for the better.
31 >
32 > I am not saying that it is Jörg's fault. Just saying that arguing
33 > will end in a flame fest. I have seen him writing about the GPL and
34 > his more favorite licences before - nothing Nicolas or anybody else
35 > says will change his mind. And nothing he will say will change the
36 > mind of the GPL fans. So there will be some clash of egos and a big,
37 > fat flame war, each side convinced to speak the ultimate truth. No
38 > thanks.
39
40 Also, no one reading it would learn anything more than they could have
41 by googling a little while. All the arguments about whether copyleft is
42 more or less freedomish than non-copyleft are already out there for
43 anyone who wants to read them.
46 »Q«
47 Kleeneness is next to Gödelness.