From: Dan Farrell <dan@×××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] 2.6.28-gentoo sources quite sluggish on Dell Inspiron 8100 / 1GHz PIII
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 01:45:47
1 Hi all,
2
3 I recently updated my dell Inspirion 8100's software after I found to
4 my suprise I could no longer play video fast enough to watch. I did a
5 kernel upgrade from 2.6.24 to 2.6.28, with a number of
6 reconfigurations, including moving from madwifi to in-kernel ath5k.
7 Also updated nvidia-drivers to go along with the new system.
8
9 Now my system is extremely sluggish. It updates the screen very slowly
10 in X and CPU performance is noticably slower without X running too.
11 WiFi speed is dismal.
12
13 I tried to remove all cruft and extras from the kernel, but I haven't
14 managed to improve matters yet. Since it now takes hours to update the
15 system, I was hoping someone might have and idea as to what the cause
16 of the slowdown might be.
17
18 Sound Familiar? Any guesses?