From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Human configurable boot loader, OR useful grub2 documentation
Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2019 20:56:57
1 On 7/5/19 1:57 PM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > In the case of GRUB2 that is unlikely to be the case, as it is meant
3 > to do everything. That's why the auto-generated config files are so
4 > long and full of conditionals. On a system you have full control over,
5 > you can remove all the conditionals.
6
7 I had grub-mkconfig puke on me recently. I've not spent time diagnosing
8 why.
9
10 /boot was a local disk (/dev/sda1) per Gentoo install documents.
11
12 / (root) was special in that it was /dev/nfs.
13
14 Grub (grub-mkconfig) tossed it's salad, saying:
15
16 /usr/sbin/grub-probe: error: failed to get canonical path of
17 '192.0.2.1:/export/hostname/root'
18
19 With a return code of 1.
20
21 > GRUB2 is incredibly bendy, if only the documentation were as compliant
22 > to the wishes of its users,
23
24 Sometimes I wonder just how bendy it really is.
29 Grant. . . .
30 unix || die