From: Kai Peter <kp@×××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Coming up with a password that is very strong.
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2019 14:26:39
1 On 2019-02-05 22:17, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Wed, 6 Feb 2019 04:28:49 +0800, Mark David Dumlao wrote:
3 >
4 >> My own solution is actually very simple. I have a "secret algorithm"
5 >> that incorporates several secrets with a predictable way to generate a
6 >> site-specific secret. The end result is a 100% predictable way to
7 >> generate unique passwords for every site that are cryptographically
8 >> secure from each other (you cannot derive
9 >> one from the other) which can be generated by any device using the
10 >> appropriate tools.
11 >
12 > The was a tool in portage this did this. I tried it but it did not work
13 > in the real world because you couldn't set a rule for generated
14 > passwords
15 > that matched the requirements of all sites, for example some require a
16 > non-alphanumeric character while other sites only allow alphanumerics.
17 >
18 > I can remember what the tools was called, although I'm pretty sure it
19 > was written in Python. I'd be interested to know how you get around the
20 > conflicting restrictions as this seems a good way to do things.
21
22 By using an existing tool you have to live with its restrictions always.
23 But who says that it could not be done? At least Mark's solution will
24 (maybe) not work for everybody (yet), but he did think about an issue
25 and found a way/solution which sounds really reasonable.
28 Sent with eQmail-1.11 beta - a fork of djb's famous qmail