From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] r8169 unable to apply firmware patch
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2011 18:37:18
1 > I'm guessing that radeon-ucode and rt61-firmware and all the others
2 > are being deprecated in favour of linux-firmware, but i don't recall
3 > seeing an elog on it.
4
5 Does anyone know if this is the case? Doesn't seem very Gentoo-like,
6 although it should minimize package management for the devs which is
7 good.
8
9 >> but now
10 >> that I look closer I realize that ifconfig doesn't show an eth0
11 >> interface at all even though lspci -v shows:
12 >>
13 >> Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI
14 >> Express Gigabit Ethernet controller
15 >> ...
16 >> Kernel driver in use: r8169
17 >>
18 >> Shouldn't the eth0 interface appear in ifconfig once the r8169 driver
19 >> is loaded?  dmesg has no mention of eth0 or r8169.
20 >
21 > That's odd. Does that box still have the failed loading firmware
22 > error? Perhaps missing firmware stops eth0 from being created. I'd try
23 > installing linux-fireware and trying again (assuming you havent
24 > already).
25
26 I didn't have the firmware error on the desktop but I installed
27 linux-firmware and now eth0 is renamed to eth1 and appears under
28 iwconfig (no wireless extensions) but not under ifconfig. My laptop's
29 r8169 eth0 appears under ifconfig even when there's no ethernet cable
30 attached. That's the expected behavior isn't it?
31
32 - Grant