From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] System crash, more than once. Out of memory problem.
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2018 22:10:02
1 Howdy,
2
3 I've ran into this more than once here lately.  It's starting to get on
4 my nerves.  As some know, I reboot when power fails and generally not
5 before.  If I'm not sitting at my system, it's downloading stuff,
6 usually videos or something.  Plus I watch TV from it as well.  At this
7 point, something has a problem.  I don't know for sure what but have
8 suspects.
9
10 Things I've done based on what I've noticed while sitting at the
11 system.  I noticed with the newer Firefox versions, the multi-process
12 ones, that it can hog up a TON of memory.  Sometimes I wonder if it is
13 trying to download the entire internet or something into memory.  One
14 Firefox profile can be eating up several GBs of memory even with few
15 active tabs.  To help with that, I changed the process count from 4 to
16 1.  That seemed to help with that a LOT.  It hasn't gotten to hungry
17 since.  Basically back to the way it was before the multi-process thingy.
18
19 The other day, after a upgrade, I noticed dolphin started triggering
20 something.  Dolphin starts to consume memory and then the X itself, the
21 actual command X, starts to eat up memory.  The only way I can get X
22 itself to release it is to logout, restart the GUI from a console and
23 then login again.  If I see it quick enough, I can close the Dolphin
24 window and restart it.  Got lucky a time or two.  I'm not sure but I use
25 the little preview thingy to check downloaded videos with.  I suspect
26 that may be the trigger.  I think F11 activates it.
27
28 I'm attaching the relevant part of my messages file.  Does anyone see
29 anything in there that gives a clue?  I see where X was a hog and that
30 is the process the kernel killed, which of course, killed pretty much
31 everything else.
32
33 Thanks much.
34
35 Dale
36
38
39 P. S.  I have more memory on the way but this is still a issue that
40 needs fixing.  If it eats all I have now, it will just eat more of it
41 later if this is some sort of bug.

Messages text/plain