From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] what is lvmetad?
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 20:33:14
1 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On 28/02/2014 21:47, covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
4 > > Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > >
6 > >> On 28/02/2014 21:12, covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
7 > >>> In the newest lvm, there is something called lvmetad, but it won't
8 > >>> start because /run/lvm is missing. When I created by hand, it then
9 > >>> started, but when I then started lvm which would not start without
10 > >>> lvmetad, it said lvmetad was started, but disabled.
11 > >>>
12 > >>> Can anyone tell me what is going on here?
13 > >>>
14 > >>> Thanks.
15 > >>>
16 > >>
17 > >> the ebuild issues an elog:
18 > >>
19 > >> * Make sure the "lvm" init script is in the runlevels:
20 > >> * # rc-update add lvm boot
21 > >> *
22 > >> * Make sure to enable lvmetad in /etc/lvm/lvm.conf if you want
23 > >> * to enable lvm autoactivation and metadata caching.
24 > >>
25 > >>
26 > >> Did you notice it and follow it?
27 > >
28 > > I did not ignore, but I could not find where use_lvmetad was and up till
29 > > now it never made any difference, but I see where it is. but lvmetad
30 > > would not start at all till I manually created /run/lvm.
35 > /run is a tmpfs, so something must mkdir it as startup time. I reckon
36 > that is device-mapper:
37 >
38 > $ grep /run/lvm *
39 > device-mapper: checkpath -q -d -m 0700 -o root:root /run/lvm /run/lock/lvm
40 > lvmetad:pidfile="/var/run/lvmetad.pid"
43 > Do you have device-mapper configured to run?
44 > I must admit I see oddities sometimes on my lvm-enabled hosts where the
45 > /var/run -> /run symlinks are missing.
46 > I think you should file a bug, either the code is wrong or the
47 > docs/elogs are insufficient here
48
49 Maybe I will do that as the lvmetad is started before devicemapper if I
50 remember correctly or somehow the dependencies are wrong. I am not sure
51 why its a requirement, I don't scan new lvm volumes very often at all,
52 so its not saving any time, if that is why it exists.
55 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
56 How do
57 you spend it?
58
59 John Covici