From: Bill Longman <bill.longman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: cheap "make yourself" server: i7-950 or phenom 1100T?
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 19:26:26
1 On 12/15/2010 09:35 AM, Jarry wrote:
2 > So what should I pick for him? i7-950, or phenom-1100t?
3 > Or yet some cheap 4/6-core opteron 4xxx/6xxx?
6 Uh oh......don your flameproof underwear and open the floodgates....
7
8 I've not used the new six-core AMDs but I love my XII 940. And with
9 Intel's new plumbing, my experience with the i7 seems to point to only
10 slightly to the i7 side, as long as you have speedy RAM. I think in the
11 long run, these two are so close, it just comes down to how much memory
12 bandwidth you can wring from the machine. I/O is still I/O so, what else
13 is left, really?