From: Grand Duet <grand.duet@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] resolv.conf is different after every reboot
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2014 15:08:32
1 2014-07-27 17:50 GMT+03:00 Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com>:
2 > On 07/27/2014 04:30 AM, Grand Duet wrote:
3 >>
4 >>> and also the output of the "rc-update show" command?
5 >>
6 >> # rc-update show
7 >> alsasound | boot
8 >> bootmisc | boot
9 >> dbus | default
10 >> devfs | sysinit
11 >> dmesg | sysinit
12 >> fsck | boot
13 >> hostname | boot
14 >> hwclock | boot
15 >> keymaps | boot
16 >> killprocs | shutdown
17 >> kmod-static-nodes | sysinit
18 >> local | default
19 >> localmount | boot
20 >> loopback | boot
21 >> metalog | default
22 >> modules | boot
23 >> mount-ro | shutdown
24 >> mtab | boot
25 >> net.eth0 | default
26 >> net.lo | boot
27 >> netmount | default
28 >> privoxy | default
29 >> procfs | boot
30 >> root | boot
31 >> savecache | shutdown
32 >> swap | boot
33 >> swapfiles | boot
34 >> sysctl | boot
35 >> sysfs | sysinit
36 >> termencoding | boot
37 >> tmpfiles.dev | sysinit
38 >> tmpfiles.setup | boot
39 >> udev | sysinit
40 >> udev-mount | sysinit
41 >> urandom | boot
42 >>
43 >> Everywhere above eth0 has been put instead of its udev "predictable" name.
44 >>
45 >> Do you think that I need
46 >> carrier_timeout_eth0=20
47 >> somewhere in /etc/conf.d/net ?
50 > Have you tried disabling network hotplugging in /etc/rc.conf?
51 > i.e. setting rc_hotplug="!net.*"
52
53 No, I have rc_hotplug="*" in my /etc/rc.conf file.
54
55 I will try it, thank you for the tip.
56
57 > Sounds like the interfaces are being brought up out of order.
58
59 Yes, I have just written about it the following:
60
61 I finally got an idea why everything went wrong after
62 the last system update.
63
64 During my last system update, portage instructed me to add
65 dev-lang/tk-8.5.15 threads
66 line to my /etc/portage/package.use file.
67
68 Here is the portage message about it:
69
70 The following USE changes are necessary to proceed:
71 (see "package.use" in the portage(5) man page for more details)
72 # required by dev-lang/ruby-1.9.3_p484[tk]
73 # required by dev-ruby/rake-0.9.6[ruby_targets_ruby19]
74 # required by dev-lang/ruby-2.0.0_p353
75 # required by dev-ruby/racc-1.4.9[ruby_targets_ruby20]
76 # required by dev-ruby/rdoc-4.0.1-r1[ruby_targets_ruby19]
77 =dev-lang/tk-8.5.15 threads
78
79 And in my /etc/portage/package.use file this line has already
80 been commented. So, I just uncommented it. But I do remember
81 that it was commented for a reason, though do not remember
82 exactly why.
83
84 May be uncommenting that line allowed bringing up
85 lo and eth0 interfaces *in parallel*. If it is the case,
86 then I have an easy explanation why the contents
87 of /etc/resolv.conf file after boot is unpredictable.
88
89 If eth0 starts after lo, then I have the right /etc/resolv.conf
90 file, however if lo starts after eth0, then the DNS IPs in
91 resolv.conf file are overwritten with dummy instruction
92 for lo interface.
93
94 But, now, after your suggestion, I have looked into
95 my /etc/rc.conf file, and have found there the option
96 rc_parallel="NO"
97 which softens my previous arguments a bit, but not completely:
98 may be lo and eth0 are brought up not in parallel but in different
99 order, anyway.