From: Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] crontab questions
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2012 17:23:33
1 On 12/14/2012 09:36 PM, Grant wrote:
2 >
3 > I got it working in /etc/crontab. Should I file a bug for
4 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/cron-guide.xml to mention that vixie-cron
5 > must be restarted when making changes to /etc/crontab? It says:
6 >
7 > "Note that only Vixie-cron schedules jobs in /etc/crontab automatically."
10 You shouldn't have to restart vixie-cron, I think it just scans
11 /etc/crontab every so often.
14 > Wouldn't you rather use a one-liner like this?
15 >
16 > iptables -L -n | mail -s "mx1 iptables state" -a "From:
17 > root@×××××××××××.com <mailto:root@×××××××××××.com>"
18 > postmaster@×××××××.com <mailto:postmaster@×××××××.com>
21 Even the simple stuff I like to keep in a separate shell script. They're
22 all under version control so that if one server blows up, all I have to
23 do is checkout the git repo and hit `make` on another box and everything
24 will more-or-less work once I emerge @world.
25
26 I could avoid using a temp file that way, but it ain't broke so I'm not
27 going to fix it.