From: Urs Schuetz <u.schutz@×××××××.ch>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] print to pdf
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2007 22:19:18
1 On Sat, 23 Jun 2007, Matthew R. Lee wrote:
2
3 > On Friday 22 June 2007 19:54, Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:
4 > > On Samstag, 23. Juni 2007, Philip Webb wrote:
5 > > > 070622 Matthew R. Lee wrote:
6 > > > > I'm having problems with printing to pdf,
7 > > > > both with kprint system and cups-pdf.
8 > > >
9 > > > Why don't you use Open Office ? Create a .pdf , then print from Kpdf.
10 > > > There's a .bin , if you don't want to compile OO ( 5 hr here).
11 > >
12 > > or koffice which is able to print to pdf just fine. And in 5h you can
13 > > install most of KDE+koffice.
14 >
15 > I have open-office and I know it works fine for producing pdfs. I normally
16 > write my manuscripts in Latex and likewise I have no problem producing pdfs
17 > from Kile. This problem has arisen because I wanted to make pdfs of web
18 > pages. I've just submitted a research proposal and I needed to include a few
19 > webpages in lieu of proper quotes for some of the equipment I wanted. The
20 > online submission process required all documents to be uploaded in pdf
21 > format.
22 > This is just an issue of something that is supposed to work and doesn't and
23 > I'd like to figure out why and fix it. At the moment though it
24 > isn't "mission critical"
25
26 Have you configured the cups-pdf printer to embed the fonts?
27
28 If cups is locally installed, then just open the webbrowser and
29 go to http://localhost:631/ This opens a connection to the local
30 cups administration interface.
31
32 Select the "printers" tab, and search for the cups-pdf printer.
33 Select "Set printer options". This opens the settings for the pdf
34 printer.
35
36 What is shown here is depending on your local setup (the possible
37 settings are defined in a ppd file, which was selected during
38 setup of the cups-pdf printer).
39
40 Look for an option like "embed all fonts", and set it to "yes".
41 Look for an option like "subset fonts", and set it to "no", check
42 the licenses of the fonts which you use.
43
44 I'm not sure if it is necessary to restart the cups system,
45 /etc/init.d/cupsd restart
46
47 This will result in bigger pdf files. The produced pdf files
48 should contain all fonts, complete.
49
50 If there are no such settings for the cups-pdf printer then try
51 to create a new cups-pdf printer, and select "Postscript Color
52 Printer" as ppd.
53
54 Hope this helps. I'm using the cups-pdf printer often to store
55 web pages, and it's working pretty nice.
56
57 Urs
61 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list