From: tastytea <gentoo@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Would constant max CPU speed cause lockups?
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 2021 17:37:46
1 On 2021-06-05 13:18-0400 "Walter Dnes" <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
2
3 > A few years ago, I cheaped out and bought a low-powered Atom desktop
4 > with 8 gigs of RAM. Looking back, that was a mistake. It would
5 > default to 480p or at best 720p on Youtube. But I wrote a nifty bash
6 > script that manually put the CPU into "userspace" mode, and selected
7 > the maximum available CPU speed. I finally got Youtube with steady
8 > playback at 1080p... YAY! I'd leave it at max speed during my waking
9 > hours, and drop it to min speed at night before going to bed.
10 >
11 > I saw the occasional mysterious lockups as I mentioned in recent
12 > threads. I wonder if pushing the CPU to max speed most of the day
13 > would cause overheating and lockups. I'm leaving my current, more
14 > powerfull, machine in "conservative" mode.
15
16 The CPU will automatically throttle when a certain temperature is
17 reached. This may be the cause of the lockups.
18
19 > Should I stay in conservative mode? Or forget about speed control
20 > entirely, and let "Intel Speed Step" handle things for me? Also, is
21 > there a way to enable CPU throttling based on temperature?
22
23 Have you tried ondemand mode? It ramps up the speed faster than
24 conservative mode and drops equally fast if there is not much to do. I
25 have it enabled everywhere and didn't notice any problems.
28 Get my PGP key with `gpg --locate-keys tastytea@××××××××.de` or at
29 <https://tastytea.de/tastytea.asc>.