From: Albert Hopkins <marduk@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NetworkManager and/or WICD
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2009 03:10:39
1 On Tue, 2009-11-03 at 21:52 -0500, Mike Edenfield wrote:
2 > Does anyone have any experience getting either NetworkManager or WICD to
3 > work properly under Gentoo? When I attempt to use either of those
4 > utilities to get onto my wireless network, the NIC refuses to stay
5 > connected to the base station for more than a few seconds at a time.
6 > Instead, it continually disassociates and deauthenticates, only for
7 > nm/wicd to hop right back on. However, if I manually configure
8 > wpa_supplicant for a given SSID and start it via the init script
9 > directly, I don't have any such problems.
10 >
11 > Additionally, I can't get either applet to actually save settings (like
12 > known networks, passwords, etc.) which means that I'm continually
13 > interrupted by a prompt for the wireless password.
14 >
15 > What I'm really looking for is a graphical utility that will let me
16 > connect to specific newly-detected wireless networks without having to
17 > edit the WPA configuration and restart it; NetworkManager and WICD seem
18 > to be the most popular. Any other suggestions would also be welcome.
19
20 Have you checked your logs? I know NM spews copious amounts of logging
21 data.
22
23 I use NM with wireless, WPA/2 and also the openvpn and vpnc plugins. I
24 don't have the problem you're experiencing, but whenever there is a
25 problems I can usually deduce it from syslog.
26
27 -a