From: "Sebastián Pedersen" <sebasped@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Recommend a good replacement for XFCE?
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2016 16:34:33
1 On 24-09-2016 01:26 PM, Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > On 2016-09-24, waltdnes@××××××××.org <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
3 >> On Fri, Sep 23, 2016 at 11:45:26PM +0000, Grant Edwards wrote
4 >>
5 >>> Would anybody care to make a recommendation?
6 >>
7 >> How about ditching "Desktop Environment" altogether and using a
8 >> "Window Manager" instead?
9 >
10 > That's probably a good idea: rather than starting with a DE and
11 > removing stuff, start with a good window manager and add to that if
12 > needed.
13 >
14 >> I use ICEWM. It has to be configured with a text editor, but you can
15 >> then set it and forget it.
16 >
17 > [...]
18 >
19 >>> * some sort of task-bar (auto-hide required)
20 >>>
21 >>> * some sort toolbar OK (as long as it's auto-hide)
22 >>
23 >> Got it all. But you have to edit the config file with a text
24 >> editor.
25 >
26 > That's perfectly fine.
27 >
28 > I'll take a look at icewm.
29
30 I don't think it's a XFCE replacement, but since it has been mencioned
31 to take a WM as starting point, I mencion that I've been usin I3 WM and
32 I'm quit happy about it.
33 https://i3wm.org/
34
35 Just a comment, in case it help in any way.
36
37 Cheers.
38 Sebas