From: Todd Goodman <tsg@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-user@l.g.o, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-user] OpenRc-0.12 is coming soon
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 14:58:07
1 * Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> [130816 10:43]:
2 > On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 10:09 AM, Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o> wrote:
3 > > The package is now masked (openrc-0.12) because quite a few people
4 > > lost their net configs
5 > >
6 > > So yep, ~arch being *this* broken is not so nice
7 >
8 > And hence the value of having a group of volunteer guinea pigs
9 > (anybody running ~arch) is demonstrated. That said, masking big
10 > changes and calling for volunteers among the volunteers doesn't hurt.
11 >
12 > Seems like we need to be more careful with code that runs outside the
13 > sandbox. Config protection is nice, but it is useless when code runs
14 > outside the sandbox.
15 >
16 > Rich
17
18 As one of those volunteer guinea pigs it all worked fine with the four
19 ~x86 and three ~amd64 machines I've upgraded to openrc-0.12:0.
20
21 They vary in when they were installed from 2005 up to a couple months
22 ago and are generally updated daily.
23
24 All ~x86 are "servers" (though most have X, KDE, and Gnome installed,
25 they're only accessed remotely.)
26
27 Two of the ~amd64 machines are "desktops" (though they both run services
28 as "servers.")
29
30 If I can help narrow anything down further I'm happy to help. Or to
31 test anything.
32
33 Todd