From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] UEFI data corruption? [FIXED]
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2019 08:14:54
1 On Tuesday, 24 September 2019 19:01:27 BST Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Tue, 24 Sep 2019 09:50:44 +0100, Peter Humphrey wrote:
3
4 > > 1. I remember, dimly, that while commissioning this machine from new,
5 > > I had trouble installing and running grub:2. I knew even less about
6 > > UEFI systems then, so if I were to try it again now I might find a way.
7 > > But I hate the damn thing, so as long as I don't need it it's not
8 > > getting near my machines.
9 >
10 > I thought you were using systemd-boot, not GRUB? GRUB may need the
11 > protected MBR space, but I only use GRUB on non-UEFI systems, where the
12 > blank partition is needed with GPT partitioning.
13
14 Indeed I am not using grub. This reference was an aside - a literal footnote -
15 a memory from 3.5 years ago when I was setting up a new machine and trying to
16 get it to boot. And failing, with grub. Since then, no grub on UEFI systems
17 here.
20 Regards,
21 Peter.