From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Boot hangs after install, no error
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 01:06:59
1 On 06/16/2010 04:05 PM, Jake Moe wrote:
2 > I've just completed a fresh Gentoo installation on a new laptop, and
3 > strangely, after I choose the entry from the Grub screen, all I get is:
4 >
5 > Booting `Gentoo Linux 2.6.32-r7`
6 >
7 > root (hd0,1)
8 > Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
9 > kernel /kernel-2.6.32-gentoo-r7 root=/dev/sda4
10 > [Linux-bzImage, setup=0x3000, size=0x1ab020]
11
12 The only thing that looks a bit unusual is that your kernel-2.6.xxx
13 appears to be in the root directory instead of in /boot where it
14 usually lives.
15
16 Is that something you intended to do? Did you install /boot on it's own
17 separate partition? That's the way the gentoo install instructions were
18 written years ago -- but I confess I never did it that way and I've not
19 done a new install recently, so I've lost track.