From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: GPT newbee needs some help
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2016 22:01:50
1 Neil Bothwick <neil <at> digimed.co.uk> writes:
4 > > First determine if the motherboards is a Bios or EFI variety.
5 > > Then, decide which bootloader you are going to use:: grub(legacy) grub2,
6 > > lilo, gummi, EFI, etc etc? Last, how many different distros will you
7 > > ultimately be booting off that disk.
8
9 > > Then with that data, decide which formatting tool to use. (Others will
10 > > disagree with this logical progression, which is good as long as they
11 > > refine there reasons, explicitly.)
12
13 > I agree up until the last paragraph. You can use gdisk and a GPT whether
14 > you are using BIO or EFI. The difference is in your first partition. For
15 > EFI it must be type EF00 and formatted with FAT. For BIOS booting you
16 > need to start the disk with a small BIOS compatibility partition of type
17 > EF02. This is 1M here and you don't format or use it, it just has to be
18 > there.
19
20 I do not diagree what you are stating. I'll try it again. My logic is
21 hopefully sound, but might not appeal to everyone. It's what I'm working on
22 for my cluster/node reconfiguration tool which will eventually boot
23 embedded, many different arches and also use a variety of (i)PXE style node
24 wake-ups and fast boots with images served from servers. Hence the need for
25 one generic HD partition scheme:: (no raid decision tree) so drives and
26 systems can be moved around into a variety of test configurations as easily
27 as possible.
28
29 1. Is the disk a boot disk. (ignore additional disks for now. Most are 2G
30 sata drives.
31
32 2. (assuming yes) Which distros will be booting off that disk.
33
34 3. Determine if the motherboards is a Bios or EFI variety.
35
36 4. Select a bootloader. (grub-1 grub-2 etc.
37
38 5. Specify the (example:boot/root/swap) partition scheme according to
39 previous data, ignoring other optional partitions for this example.
40
41 6. Select the partition tool.
42
43 Note:: a generic default (generic) partition scheme, shown below will work
44 for both Bios and EFI systems, so if a HD is moved between different mobos,
45 all else being same it should not have to be reformatted.
46
47 <what would that default generic partition scheme look like for just
48 boot, root and swap that works on both mbr(bios) and efi motherboards?>
49
50 Hopefully this makes sense, as the basis of a collection of systems to
51 test a variety of cluster architectures, DFS and clusters codes, on
52 identical hardware to validate performance comparison....
55 James