From: Fernando Rodriguez <cyklonite@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Sweet Sweet Portage
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2016 18:48:32
1 On 08/15/2016 06:02 PM, james wrote:
2 > Well,
3 >
4 > I brought this up before. No need for argument, just test it out
5 > for yourself.
6 >
7 > Multiple times (over the last few weeks) I have run 'emerge -uDNvp @world' and there are issues to deal with manually.
8 >
9 > For example 'One or more updates/rebuilds have been skipped due to a dependency conflict', type of fudd and other types of fudd is the result, not all the time, but maybe 50% of the time.
12 > Now, routinely, all I do is immediately issue this command
13 > 'emerge -uDt @world' and go have a coffee. An AMD 8 core, 32G workstation does it's thang, leaving me a with just a smile after the work is complete. No other actions, nadda, ziltch. Immediately, I then run 'emerge -uDNvp world' (again, and routinely I get::
14 >
15 > "These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
16 >
17 > Calculating dependencies... done!
18 >
19 > Total: 0 packages, Size of downloads: 0 KiB"
22 > Just try it for yourself. It's like clockwork now. Smooth. I have over 1500 packages installed on a mostly stable but hacked out /usr/local/portage/ and maybe 10% of the packages, that are much newer, but portage is sweet, sweet, sweet now. There is inherent magic now, but,
23 > I do not have time to ferret it out. Sure I can dive in, manually,
24 > and I have done this to fix things, but, 'emerge -uDt @world' fixes things, automagically; dozens of times as I update 3 or 4 times a week.
28 I don't know exactly what's going on but I think something is wrong so it's not
29 so sweet. I think you got a conflict that's not being resolved and not being pulled
30 by the second command. What happends if you add --with-bdeps=y --backtrack=30? Also
31 try without the -p (I think it runs more code like autounmask etc so it may cause
32 the extra output).
33
34 Is clang/llvm stuff still popping up on the list of skipped packages? I remember a
35 similar conflict around the time of your first post and it turned out that the latest
36 stable clang blocks the latest stable libclc. So the tree is (still) broken. For most
37 users it's not a problem because portage pulls the right version of clang but if you
38 have clang on your world file it updates it to the latest and you get those conflicts.
39 I fixed it by masking all versions of clang >3.6
43 Fernando Rodriguez