From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: future moderation
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2011 00:07:52
1 On Sat, Jun 11, 2011 at 4:19 PM, Matt Harrison
2 <iwasinnamuknow@×××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > Hi list,
4 >
5 > An odd post here but I'm sitting up after midnight with a few beers and I
6 > wanted to get an advanced word on this.
7 >
8 > I don't know if anyone is subscribed to the ruby-talk mailing list at the
9 > moment (or used to be on the comp.lang.lisp group a while ago). There is an
10 > odd character there who is harming the community by either being insane (not
11 > my words -- those of ruby guru Ryan Davis) or with extremely well crafted
12 > trolling.
13 >
14 > I see the trouble that ruby-talk is having with him and I wondered firstly,
15 > if we would have similar trouble moderating his crap (he alternates between
16 > email, usenet and forums. Apparently they can't moderate him) and secondly,
17 > if/when he turns up here can we please shoot him down the instant he
18 > arrives.
19 >
20 > Ok, as I'm writing this it does seem that I'm going a little crazy, but I
21 > consider this list my home. I love this list and the people on it..I don't
22 > post that much these days but I have learned a lot. When I do post, I get
23 > very helpful replies and I know you're good people. I would just hate for
24 > this guy to come on here and wreck the joint.
25 >
26 > Take this as you will, drunken ramblings or well-meant concern :)
27 >
28 > Matt
32 Matt,
33 I'm sure your concerns are well intentioned so let's assume for the
34 sake of conversation that there was going to be a problem. I've been a
35 member of this list for (I think) 11 or 12 years now. I know of no
36 case (made public anyway) where a specific individual has been banned.
37 It's always been the receiver's requirements (you and me) to blacklist
38 the individual if we don't like what they say.
39
40 That's not to say that whoever moderates the server couldn't do
41 something. I simply don't know that anyone ever has taken a step quite
42 that drastic.
43
44 - Mark