From: Andrew Hoffman <andy.hoffman12@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: OT: wrong ram?
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2013 22:04:07
1 Test them in a different slot each individually. if still fails install
2 both. swap back and forth.
3 -Andy
6 On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 3:51 PM, Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net>wrote:
7
8 > Am 05.03.2013 22:14, schrieb walt:
9 > > On 03/05/2013 09:56 AM, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
10 > >
11 > >> intel introduced an extension for spd information. The ram should work
12 > >> just fine. Intel motherboards might or might not make use of the
13 > >> additional information. so might or might not amd boards. And no, there
14 > >> won't be any risk. DDR3 is DDR3.
15 > >
16 > > I just discovered some bad DDR2 RAM in an older machine (2GB x 2) and I
17 > > tested each stick separately using memtest86. The result confuses me:
18 > >
19 > > Each 2GB stick fails at exactly the same point in the test (0-32MB), and
20 > > that seems improbable to me. I'm thinking the mobo might be broken
21 > instead
22 > > of the RAM. Any ideas?
23 > >
24 > > Thanks. (I have only the one machine that uses DDR2, unfortunately.)
27 > Try adjusting the timing as noted on this thread. Maybe slower settings
28 > work better, even if they are below SPD. Also look at the voltages (most
29 > BIOSes show them). If they are considerably off, this could affect your
30 > RAM. A bad power supply is always a suspect when something breaks.
31 >
32 > Regards,
33 > Florian Philipp