From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] InitRAMFS - boot expert sought
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 22:01:03
1 Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 1:36 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > <SNIP>
4 > Right now, my plan is to mask udev at what it is and either
5 >> switch to another distro
6 > <SNIP>
7 >
8 > Just remember, with distros it's the device you know for the devil you
9 > don't know...
10 >
11 > I don't understand why any of this /usr /udev stuff is bothering you.
12 > Do you really use a separate /usr? Aren't you on stable like me or are
13 > you on ~amd64?
14 >
15 > Good luck. I'm positive you'll come to your senses about this Ubuntu
16 > nonsense! ;-)))
17 >
18 > Cheers,
19 > Mark
24 My plan was to put / on ext4, /boot on ext2 and everything else on LVM.
25 That would incluse /usr, /usr/portage, /var and /home. I have not done
26 that yet because doing it would force me to make a choice very soon
27 since this mess is coming pretty soon.
28
29 The reason it is bothering me is because of the mess it is creating for
30 me. If I am the only one it bothers, then maybe it is time for me to
31 use something else. That way everyone else can be happy and not have to
32 listen to me grumble about it. I would like to make this work and have
33 been missing with it for a month at least. I'm not making any progress
34 tho.
35
36 Right now, given the issues that I am already having, this is looking to
37 be a deal breaker. It reminds me of when my ex kept lying to me about
38 things. I can deal with it for a while but at some point you have to
39 decide if it is something you want to put up with or time to leave. I
40 left my ex, that's why she is called my ex. I didn't like making the
41 decision since we had a lot of other things in common but I hate being
42 lied to even worse. I like Gentoo a lot but it may not work for what I
43 want in the near future.
44
45 Also, this makes me thing back to hal. The only things is, there were
46 ways to get rid of hal. There is not many options on this mess. If I'm
47 going to make this work, it's going to have to be a long term solution,
48 supporting /var on a separate partition as well. That will be next I
49 suspect.
50
51 Dale
52
56 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
57 how you interpreted my words!
58
59 Miss the compile output? Hint:
60 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"