From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: frares@×××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] /dev/sda* missing at boot
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 15:22:24
1 On Fri 19 August 2011 15:06:46 frares@×××××.com did opine thusly:
2 > > Some Gentoo users still need an initramfs, such as booting off
3 > > drives in a RAID configuration. They need the RAID drivers
4 > > first to read the disks so use an initramfs to fix this little
5 > > problem exactly as Ubunut fixes their problem.
6 > >
7 > > Make sense?
8 >
9 > Completely! Thanks a lot.
10 >
11 > So I guess that my problem is to find an appropriate pair of driver
12 > and hard disk operating mode.
13
14 That's right. Don't forget the filesystem drivers. For example if you
15 mount an ext3 partition at / and it's on a SATA drive, then you need
16 SATA and ext3 drivers in the kernel (not as modules).
20 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com