From: Miroslav Rovis <miro.rovis@××××××××××××××.hr>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] emerge option "--color=n" not working WAS: Need coaching with emerge failure logs
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2017 13:28:42
1 On 170228-20:07-0500, Harry Putnam wrote:
2 > Miroslav Rovis <miro.rovis@××××××××××××××.hr> writes:
3 >
4 > > On 170226-09:42-0500, Harry Putnam wrote:
5 > >> Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> writes:
6 > > ...
7 > >>
8 > >> > Example at the beginning: [32;01m *
9 > >> > Example from the end: *
10 > >> >
11 > >> > Output to the terminal these would show the text in different colours,
12 > >> > but the output was redirected to a textfile or mishandled in a
13 > >> > copy-paste operation (not sure if screen or tmux does this?).
14
15 I just checked out again on --color=n (I expect it is the same as
16 --color n), mentioned below:
17 > >> > Running emerge with `--color n` would have made this log much more
18 > >> > readable. Its size already makes it hard to search.
19 ...
20 > >>
21 > >> Just so you know... I did try that. [--color n] The resulting log
22 > >> looked exactly the same. ...
23 > >
24 > > This is hard to believe. I just tried, and either:
25 > >
26 > > --color n
27 > >
28 > > or:
29 > >
30 > > --color=n
31 > >
32 > > added to the emerge line, worked.
35 > Are you looking at the Terminal output? If so that is not what I
36 > posted.
37 >
38 > I did mention that yes `--color n' kills the color in terminal output.
39 At first it worked in the terminal, and in the logs, this time around,
40 here.
41
42 > Read the whole paragraph you quote 1 sentence from above.
43 >
44 > This is the end of that para:
45 >
46 > ". . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . I don't expect
47 > anyone would have noticed the comment... but it does seem a bit off
48 > that I see no differernce here. That is, no difference in the actual
49 > log emerge creates. I do see the difference in the terminal output."
50
51 This time around, and it was a lot of emerge'ing, after a couple of
52 dozen emerge'ing of various packages, while that '--color=n' option had,
53 at start of using it, removed color from the terminal and from the
54 logs... after a couple of dozen emerge'ing of various packages it
55 stopped removing color, completely stopped, in the terminal and in the
56 logs.
57
58 This is a bug, and if this is how others have it too, than this needs to
59 be reported to bugzilla.
60
61 I would do it, but I'm a little unwell at this time, can't do it, don't
62 know if I'll be able to do it later.
63
64 Regards!
65 --