From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Cron and disabling emails for one script only
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2021 18:43:29
1 On Tue, 6 Apr 2021 12:43:31 -0500, Dale wrote:
2
3 > Keep in mind, I do not want to disable ALL emails, just this one
4 > script.  How does one disable emails for this one cron job?  Do I have a
5 > typo or putting it in wrong place maybe?  Everything I found shows this
6 > should work but obviously I'm doing something wrong.  Again, error
7 > emails are fine.  I don't want successful runs tho.
8
9 cron only sends an email if the job produces any output. If the script
10 follows the *nix principle of succeed quietly, fail noisily, you should
11 only get emails when things go wrong. However without seeing your
12 mail-backup script, it is hard to say what needs to change.
13
14 The "|| true " part means this cron task will always return success, even
15 if the script fails, which possibly is not what you want.
19 Neil Bothwick
20
21 The gene pool could use a little chlorine.