From: Jarry <jarry@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] VIA K8M890/K8M880 (VT8251) supported?
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 19:47:08
1 Hi gentoo-fans,
2
3 I recently bought a VIA K8M890 based mobo (asus a8v-vm) and tried
4 to install gentoo on it. To my big surprise, my two s-ata disks
5 have not been detected, so my installation finished very soon :-(
6 To my surprise, old backup p-ata drive has been detected,
7 as well as other peripherials attached to the southbridge VT8251
8 (network, on-board graphics, sound). I installed gentoo on that
9 old p-ata drive, recompilled kernel with whatever via/s-ata
10 options, but no help. Still s-ata drives not detected...
11
12 Board is definitelly good, I tried installing windows, and s-ata
13 disks have been correctly recognised. Seems only linux has somehow
14 problem. And this southbridge is nothing new, used at least one year
15 in various via-chipsets...
16
17 Does anybody have some experiences with s-ata disks attached to
18 via k8m880/890 (vt9251) and gentoo/linux? Or where could I find
19 some info about the latest status of linux <-> k8m880/890 support?
20
21 Jarry
22 --
23 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list