From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Dumb question
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 18:35:05
1 On Wed, 11 Oct 2006 13:05:12 -0500, Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
2
3 > And ... if the startup scripts change or a major version bump occurs, a
4 > clean shutdown should happen BEFORE the new package is installed. The
5 > portage system really should shutdown any services before an upgrade
6 > occurs.
7
8 So you're updating SSH over a remote link, portage shuts down sshd then
9 the new version fails to compile, leaving the old version there but not
10 running and no way to fix it from a hundred miles away.
11
12 No thanks! I can live with portage warning me of what needs to be done,
13 but I'd rather it didn't make unilateral decisions on my behalf.
17 Neil Bothwick
18
19 I've got a mind like a... a... what's that thing called?