From: Danny YUE <sheepduke@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Questions on Raspberry Pi cross compiling
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2017 05:42:44
1 Hi guys,
2
3 I am setting up cross compiling environment for my newly bought
4 Raspberry Pi 3, under the guide of:
5 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi
6 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi/Quick_Install_Guide
7
8 My original idea was to use crossdev to cross compile packages on my PC
9 and install binaries on RPI.
10 However I found it really nasty because it kept giving me the error
11 message about "libintl: no such file or directory" during compilation of
12 packages such as attr, python etc.
13
14 And if some (even very few) packages fail to build on the PC, it is
15 hardly possible to keep PC and RPI 'consistent'.
16 (Yes, I did setup the 'make.profile' symlink to the right place.)
17
18 So my question is:
19 1) If some packages are *doomed* to fail, how do you keep the
20 emerge world environment consistency between PC and RPI?
21 Or is my understanding of this method incorrect?
22
23 2) If it is not really a good idea to use crossdev, which one do you
24 recommend between distcc and chroot method?
25 (I googled but did not really get one answer about compilation speed.)
26
27 Thanks in advance for any potential help. ;-)
28
29 P.S. Does anyone have any idea about the 'libintl' error? I googled a
30 lot but it seems that it should be part of glibc...
31
32 Danny