From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Still kde problems with monolithic->split
Date: Sat, 04 Oct 2008 14:19:17
1 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> [08-10-04 16:14]:
2 > On Saturday 04 October 2008 15:23:42 meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
3 > > Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> [08-10-04 15:19]:
4 > > > On Saturday 04 October 2008 15:08:36 meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
5 > > > > Hi,
6 > > > >
7 > > > > some time ago I asked what to do if kde blocks kde...
8 > > > > The according HowTo (emergeing from monolithic
9 > > > > to split kde install) says one has first
10 > > > > to unmerge the old monolithic installation of
11 > > > > kde and the install the split stuff.
12 > > > >
13 > > > > But regardless what I am doing...
14 > > > > emerge -C <blocking item>
15 > > > > shows me a rmoving action on my harddisc and
16 > > > > the following
17 > > > > emerge --pretend --color=n --verbose --update --deep world
18 > > > > still shows that item being blocking new stuff.
19 > > > > I think _physically_ the old stuff is rmoved but
20 > > > > from emerge's point of view it is still there.
21 > > > >
22 > > > > How can I fix that problem ?
23 > > >
24 > > > You didn't give any output, so I have to guess. Most likely a different
25 > > > package is still installed which needs the same kde you just removed and
26 > > > that in turn conflicts with what you want to install now.
27 > > >
28 > > > Post the full output of 'emerge -pvuNDt world' and we'll deciphyer it for
29 > > > you
30 > > >
31 > > > --
32 > > > alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
33 > >
34 > > Hi Alan!
35 > >
36 > > Here it comes:
40 > > These are the packages that would be merged, in reverse order:
41 > >
42 > > Calculating world dependencies - app-cdr/mp3burn-0.3.3-r1 (masked by:
43 > > package.mask) /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask:
44 > > # Jeremy Olexa <darkside@g.o> (02 Sep 2008)
45 > > # Removed at maintainer's request in 30 days by the treecleaners.
46 > > # Please don't waste cds trying to use this program, bug 227143
47 >
48 > Aside: You probably want to unmerge this one above too
49 >
50 > [snip]
51 >
52 > > [ebuild R ] kde-base/kdeartwork-3.5.9
53 > > USE="opengl -arts* -debug -kdeenablefinal -xinerama -xscreensaver" 0 kB
54 >
55 > That is a monolithic package, but portage wants to Replace it, which means it
56 > was never uninstalled. I'll give you the short version, followed by the
57 > (longer) explanation of what happened:
58 >
59 > Short version:
60 > - unmerge all these packages (list ripped straight out from the kde ebuild)
61 > RDEPEND="~kde-base/kdelibs-${PV}
62 > ~kde-base/kdebase-${PV}
63 > ~kde-base/kdeaddons-${PV}
64 > ~kde-base/kdeadmin-${PV}
65 > ~kde-base/kdeartwork-${PV}
66 > ~kde-base/kdeedu-${PV}
67 > ~kde-base/kdegames-${PV}
68 > ~kde-base/kdegraphics-${PV}
69 > ~kde-base/kdemultimedia-${PV}
70 > ~kde-base/kdenetwork-${PV}
71 > ~kde-base/kdepim-${PV}
72 > ~kde-base/kdetoys-${PV}
73 > ~kde-base/kdeutils-${PV}
74 > ~kde-base/kdewebdev-${PV}
75 > accessibility? ( ~kde-base/kdeaccessibility-${PV} )
76 > - run 'emerge -av --depclean' as a sanity check. The output should be obvious,
77 > it might list a few more kde packages that you missed. Unmerge those, but
78 > note their names in case you want to put them back later
79 > - emerge kde-meta (or if you prefer to get a smaller set instead of all of kde
80 > follow the handbook and emerge just the -meta packages you want)
81 >
82 > Long version:
83 >
84 > The traditional kde packages in portage (from long long ago) mirrored the
85 > organization of how the kde project released their stuff - as 16 or so huge
86 > packages. The kde ebuild by itself does nothing, if you look inside you'll
87 > see it's just a huge RDEPEND. The 16 packages in that are the ones that
88 > actually install kde.
89 >
90 > You seem to have at one point emerged kde, and got all 16 packages with it.
91 > Then you unmerged kde, which worked OK except that it left the other 16 in
92 > place, and they promptly blocked all the kde-meta stuff.
93 >
94 > The monolithic ebuilds block the -meta ebuilds as they duplicate each other.
95 > You have to choose one or the other and can't mix them in any way. It may
96 > have been possible to write some fancy code in the -meta ebuilds to unmerge
97 > old packages and install the equivalent new ones but that would have been a
98 > major pain in the ass and is guaranteed to work for most users and completely
99 > destroy some other user's system. So the devs instead made the sane choice of
100 > forcing you to make up your mind and first setting up your machine correctly
101 > the way you want it.
102 >
103 > <humour mode on>
104 > This is TheOneTruGentooWay(tm), a devious evil policy whereby gentoo devs
105 > assume that you are in fact a really super-intelligent person who can make up
106 > their own mind, who is absolutely not an idiot and knows what they want.
107 >
108 > As you can see this is a wonderful way to work, but it also means that you get
109 > to be responsible for your own machine and wade through 100s of lines of
110 > portage output so you can decide what it is that you really want.
111 > </humour mode off>
112 >
113 > --
114 > alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
118 Hi Alan,
119
120 yes, this is the point where I am currently: Trying to unmerge these
121 packages.
122 It works physically, but after unmerging the stuff and redoing
123 a emerge -pvuNDt (as I did to send you the list after trying to
124 unmerge all packages in question) emerge thinks, that all that is
125 still on my harddisc.
126 See also my initial mail.
127 Kind regards,
128 Meino Cramer
132 Please don't send me any Word- or Powerpoint-Attachments
133 unless it's absolutely neccessary. - Send simply Text.
134 See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html
135 In a world without fences and walls nobody needs gates and windows.