From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Questions on Raspberry Pi cross compiling
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2017 06:25:38
1 On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 1:20 AM, Danny YUE <sheepduke@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 2017-07-20 05:59, R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 12:42 AM, Danny YUE <sheepduke@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>> Hi guys,
6 >>>
7 >>> I am setting up cross compiling environment for my newly bought
8 >>> Raspberry Pi 3, under the guide of:
9 >>> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi
10 >>> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi/Quick_Install_Guide
11 >>>
12 >>> My original idea was to use crossdev to cross compile packages on my PC
13 >>> and install binaries on RPI.
14 >>> However I found it really nasty because it kept giving me the error
15 >>> message about "libintl: no such file or directory" during compilation of
16 >>> packages such as attr, python etc.
17 >>>
18 >>> And if some (even very few) packages fail to build on the PC, it is
19 >>> hardly possible to keep PC and RPI 'consistent'.
20 >>> (Yes, I did setup the 'make.profile' symlink to the right place.)
21 >>>
22 >>> So my question is:
23 >>> 1) If some packages are *doomed* to fail, how do you keep the
24 >>> emerge world environment consistency between PC and RPI?
25 >>> Or is my understanding of this method incorrect?
26 >>>
27 >>
28 >> Match compilation and USE flags.
29 >>
30 >>> 2) If it is not really a good idea to use crossdev, which one do you
31 >>> recommend between distcc and chroot method?
32 >>> (I googled but did not really get one answer about compilation speed.)
33 >>>
34 >>
35 >> You should be able to mix crossdev compiled packages freely with
36 >> device compiled ones. Incompatible packages will be ignored and it
37 >> will try to recompile a package with matching flags, so pay attention.
38 >> If you need to compile something on device then I suspect you want to
39 >> use distcc if at all possible.
40 >>
41 > Thanks for your reply. :-)
42 >
43 > Well, yes. But do you know how is distcc compared with chroot referring
44 > to compilation speed?
47 Using qemu-user to emulate the target architecture and hosting the
48 system in a chroot is generally slower than compiling on device, if
49 that is what you are referring to. I've read of people who tested this
50 with the RPi3 and some Hardkernel devices.