From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] dispatch-conf, the big pic?
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2017 00:14:55
1 On Sat, 30 Dec 2017 10:10:33 -0800, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
2
3 > I realized I don't really understand it - I just repeat by rote some
4 > keystrokes. In particular:
5 >
6 > What do the 'z' and 'n' commands do exactly, and what's the difference
7 > between them?
8 >
9 > After I do a 'm', how do I actually use the result of the merge? Is the
10 > merged file now the same as the 'new' one, or the same as the 'old' one?
11 > IOW, if I do 'm' and then 'z', will the merged version be the active
12 > one?
13 >
14 > Neither manpage nor wiki is of any help answering these.
15
16 Can I suggest you try conf-update. I find it far more intuitive than
17 dispatch-conf and everything you asked is completely obvious in it. Of
18 course, you may decide you hate it, but it's worth a look to find out.
19
20
21 --
22 Neil Bothwick
23
24 Indecision is the key to flexibility.