From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Organising btrfs subvolumes
Date: Tue, 27 May 2014 11:26:29
1 On Tuesday 27 May 2014 11:57:58 Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
2 > Am 27.05.2014 09:59, schrieb Neil Bothwick:
3 > >> Alternative: mount the subvol via option "subvolid" etc in fstab
4 > >> .... if you plan to mount different snapshots, for example.
5 > >
6 > > I went with set-default for the root subvolume, if I need the root
7 > > volume I can mount it with subvolid=0.
8 >
9 > Yes, just a question of preference.
10 >
11 > I prefer to specify a subvolid ... this won't lead to side-effects if
12 > I ever might set-default to something else.
13 >
14 > But it's easier to use the defaul subvolid if you refer to that subvol
15 > via grub2 or dracut etc ...
16 >
17 > Something I still learn about ...
18 >
19 > >> As far as I understand you are allowed to mount the root volume
20 > >> (or academic: any subvol in a higher level) and use plain "mv" to
21 > >> rename the subvols as if you renamed sub-dirs.
22 > >
23 > > rust me to overlook the easy way of doing things, I was looking for
24 > > an equivalent to "zfs rename" and never considered mv.
25 >
26 > It feels somehow "wrong" to only mv them, right? ;-)
27 >
28 > > So far, btrfs looks good on my laptop - time to think about putting
29 > > it on my desktop.
30 >
31 > Yeah, good luck with that. I am quite happy with btrfs so far ... no
32 > problems or disadvantages so far.
33 >
34 > And the hourly snapshots of / and /home on my desktop are really nice
35 > to have ;-)
36 >
37 > Stefan
38
39 I recall that zfs needed a lot of RAM >= 8M, is it the same with BTRFS?
40
41 Also how big is each snapshot of / and why are these necessary on an hourly
42 basiszfs ?
45 Regards,
46 Mick