From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] KVM mouse and keyboard recognition
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2008 14:02:41
1 KVM: Keyboard Video Mouse switch
2
3 Summary:
4 Runing a KVM switch between 4 machines, my gentoo desktop is not
5 recognizing the usb based keyboard and mouse connections thru the
6 the KVM switch.
7
8 Details:
9
10 I've run a:
11
12 Model: GCS-138
13 8-Port Iomega MiniView Ultra KVM Switch (ps/2 based)
14
15 for at least 3 yrs and had no problems with gentoo recognizing mouse
16 and keyboard, along with several PCs running windows. It was a ps/2
17 model of KVM.
18
19 That KVM switch gave up the ghost and I've replaced it with a newer
20 model: Model: GCS-1774 4-Port Iomega miniview `Symphony' (usb2
21 based)
22
23 The specialized cables merge 2 usb, 1 mic, 1 speaker wires with the vga
24 cable.
25
26 On my windows PCs I can plug the KVMs keyboard and mouse usb plugs
27 anywhere I have USB ports on the machine, but only the vga plugs into
28 the Iomega (disregarding the audio cables for now)
29
30 Then of course the monitors vga cable and a usb mouse and keyboard
31 must be plugged into the Iomega as well.
32
33 With that in place all windows PCs work thru the kvm switch but trying
34 the same connections on my gentoo desktop I get the vga signal but no
35 mouse or keyboard.
36
37 That was with the KVMs usb cables plugged into two built in usb ports
38 on the machine. I even tried converting the ps/2 keyboard and mouse
39 ports on the machine to usb with adapters and plugging the KVM usb
40 cables into that but still no soap.
41
42 I don't know if I've ever really seen what keyboard or mouse
43 recognition looks like in dmesg but looking there I see nothing I
44 recognize as related to mouse or keyboard.
45
46 Maybe I have to do something special regarding USB recognition?
47
48 Anyone have an idea how I might debug this. Or that can tell me what
49 I should be looking for in dmesg output?
52 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list