From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Filesystem choice for NVMe SSD
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2016 17:29:57
1 Andrew Savchenko <bircoph <at> gentoo.org> writes:
4 > > > 3. Performance. This is natural to strive to get full speed
5 > > https://bcache.evilpiepirate.org/
6
7 > While bcache is a great technology, this is not what I need here.
8 > On this box NVMe will be the only storage and / will be placed
9 > there. All other data will be NFS-accessible over 1 Gbps link.
10
11 Yep, I hear about how wonderful it is from many performance oriented folks.
12 NVMe is certainly a positive development for SSD.
13
14 > I have thoughts about caching NFS using filescached, but limited
15 > durability of the drive (400 TBW warranty for 512 GB size) restrains
16 > me here. Probably I'll use it for caching only in exceptional cases
17 > (e.g. slow remote mounts like AFS), but with 64 GB RAM I doubt I'll
18 > need additional NVMe-based caching, at least for now, with time
19 > this may change of course.
20
21 Well, to be truthful, I was hoping your application was a speed boost
22 for clusters. Particularly a gentoo based cluster with some NVMe boards
23 on workstations that lend their excess power to a local cluster. Lots of
24 folks are building in house clusters where technical users have monster
25 workstations and use those excess workstation resources to boost the local
26 cluster. That's kinda my twist (lxqt on the desktop) for single (big
27 problem/data) on gentoo with mesos clusters. Do drop me a line, should that
28 type of usage permeate your thought_cycles.....
29
30 > Best regards,
31 > Andrew Savchenko
32