From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Cleaning redundant configuration files
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 23:49:37
1 On Wednesday 01 June 2011 00:14:04 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2
3 > It's quite simple logic... If a file is modified, it is no longer the file
4 > portage installed, so portage does not uninstall it. If anything, the
5 > problem is that the logic used by portage is too simple.
6
7 I don't think it's too simple. It seems exactly right for the task to me:
8 clear, predictable and easily understood.
9
10 > A customised file contains an investment of the user's time, a generic
11 > file does not. That investment may be small or great, but it is not
12 > for portage to determine that value and remove the file without the
13 > user's consent.
14
15 Personally, I'd be livid if portage were to remove my carefully crafted work
16 from time immemorial, without so much as a by-your-leave. Anyone who wants
17 to delete his own work is free to do so, but the rest of us ought not to be
18 required to suffer it.
21 Rgds
22 Peter