From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Building static libraries
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 22:48:16
1 On 12/13/2009 11:18 AM, Renat Golubchyk wrote:
2 > Hi everyone!
3 >
4 > I need to build a static binary of a program I wrote. The problem is
5 > that most packages only install dynamic version of the libraries. There
6 > are the "static" and "static-libs" USE flags...
7
8 I'm confused (not unusual). Do you want to create a Gentoo package of
9 your program that can be added to portage?
10
11 USE flags are used only by the Gentoo portage system, not by the compiler
12 or linker that compiles and links your source code.
13
14 If you wrote the program, then you have complete control over the linker
15 flags (e.g. -static, as Albert mentioned) and those flags usually are
16 defined in a Makefile (which you create, being the programmer).
17
18 I can't be sure, but I think you are confusing Gentoo's USE flags with
19 gcc's (or ld's) flags, which are entirely different.
20
21 Please give more details about what you want to do.