From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] "lvm failed to start"
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2012 08:41:09
On Tue, 03 Apr 2012 18:09:26 -0700, walt wrote:

> This is an ~amd64 machine, up to date as of today. The strange thing > is that lvm did *not* fail to start -- it's working perfectly. > > Now, being an Incorrigible Old Fart(TM) I'm still using openrc, and > who knows what evil lurks in that paleolithic package? :p > > Anyone else getting this (false) alarm during boot?
It is not really a false alarm, LVM does fail here but tries again later on and succeeds. covers it and the workaround in comment 2 does it for me. Basically, LVM is trying to write its lockfile to a readonly filesystem. I'm going to try mounting /run on tmpfs in my initramfs as that is where it is mounted now, but apparently too late for the first attempt at starting LVM. -- Neil Bothwick "If Micro built cars, the worlds population would be in decline"