From: Mark Pariente <markpariente@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Browsers cannot access WWW while ping and host utilities work as expected.
Date: Sun, 04 Aug 2013 19:21:59
1 > More exactly, Internet browsers (I have tried Firefox and Links) can
2 > connect to the WWW if I type the IP address as,
3 > for example, 173.194.71.104 but cannot if I type www.google.com
4 >
5 > And this is strange because the host utility works as expected
6 > (converting www.google.com into 173.194.71.104) just adding the
7 > following "Warning: query response not set."
8
9 Do other command line tools like ping work? It looks like your DNS setup
10 is correct but for some reason the GNOME setup isn't. Few things:
11
12 - Are you using NetworkManager? Is the 'networkmanager' USE flag
13 enabled? If so try going to Settings->Network->Wired->gear icon->IPv4
14 and see what the DNS settings are like.
15
16 - Also in Settings->Network, see if Network proxy is (mis)configured.
17
18 --Mark