From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ZFS
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 18:00:27
1 Am 17.09.2013 09:20, schrieb Grant:
2 > I'm convinced I need 3-disk RAID1 so I can lose 2 drives and keep
3 > running. I'd also like to stripe for performance, resulting in
4 > RAID10. It sounds like most hardware controllers do not support
5 > 6-disk RAID10 so ZFS looks very interesting.
6 >
7 > Can I operate ZFS RAID without a hardware RAID controller?
8 >
9 > >From a RAID perspective only, is ZFS a better choice than conventional
10 > software RAID?
11 >
12 > ZFS seems to have many excellent features and I'd like to ease into
13 > them slowly (like an old man into a nice warm bath). Does ZFS allow
14 > you to set up additional features later (e.g. snapshots, encryption,
15 > deduplication, compression) or is some forethought required when first
16 > making the filesystem?
17 >
18 > It looks like there are comprehensive ZFS Gentoo docs
19 > (http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/ZFS) but can anyone tell me from the real
20 > world about how much extra difficulty/complexity is added to
21 > installation and ongoing administration when choosing ZFS over ext4?
22 >
23 > Performance doesn't seem to be one of ZFS's strong points. Is it
24 > considered suitable for a high-performance server?
25 >
26 > http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTM1NTA
27 >
28 > Besides performance, are there any drawbacks to ZFS compared to ext4?
29 >
30 do yourself three favours:
31
32 use ECC ram. Lots of it. 16GB DDR3 1600 ECC ram cost you less than 170€.
33 And it is worth it. ZFS showed me just how many silent corruptions can
34 happen on a 'stable' system. Errors never seen neither detected thanks
35 to using 'standard' ram.
36
37 turn off readahead. ZFS' own readahead and the kernel's clash - badly.
38 Turn off kernel's readahead for a visible performance boon.
39
40 use noop as io-scheduler.