From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How come my 'esearch' isn't updated when I emerge something until the next 'esync'?!
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 02:39:18
1 On Friday 17 November 2006 00:27, "Daevid Vincent" <daevid@××××××.com>
2 wrote about '[gentoo-user] How come my 'esearch' isn't updated when I
3 emerge something until the next 'esync'?!':
4 > How come when I emerge something, my 'esearch' isn't updated until the
5 > next time I do an 'esync'?
6 >
7 > But I *DO* have it installed....
8 >
9 > Why can't portage just be smart enough to update whatever
10 > record/file/log/whatever it is that shows what I have installed?!
11
12 esearch is separate from portage, portage DOES update it's records (that's
13 why emerge, part of portage, shows it as installed). esearch uses a
14 separate database (for speed) that is updated by either by esync (which
15 also does an emerge --sync) or eudatedb.
16
17 (Sorry if this has already been mentioned; I'm not receiving all the emails
18 from the list.)
21 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
22 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
23 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
24 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh